Depression is actually a mood disorder, and it is manifested through bad mood and other symptoms that vary in each individual.
Unfortunately, depression is a rather common ailment nowadays. But, mild forms of depression do not affect everyday life, and sufferers are still active with the potential to receive proper treatment.
Severe forms of depression are devastating, and life-threatening. Sufferers should never be left alone.
Here are the most common symptoms and sights of depression:
- Inability to focus and make decisions
- A feeling of hopelessness
- Insomnia / Excessive sleeping
- A feeling of guilt
- General fatigue and poor energy
- Sadness, anxiety, and empty feelings
- Irritability / Restlessness
- Suicidal thoughts and attempts
Turmeric is a great gift of nature, and it is an excellent way to spice mood up. It has shown to fight various ailments, and prevent the development of abnormal cancer cells.
Turmeric is also recommended to patients diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease.
The mighty spice also destroys cancer cells and decreases bad (LDL) cholesterol. It is a common remedy for stomach disorders and pain, arthritis, diarrhea, acidity, jaundice, liver problems and others the like.
Why is turmeric so great?
- Provides a strong anti-inflammatory effect
- It is packed with antioxidants
- Improves brain functions
- Helps in the treatment of depression
How can turmeric help those dealing with depression?
Depression is treated through several common therapies, and Prozac is the most popular medication doctors prescribe to their patients. But, it can trigger dangerous side-effects, such as difficulty breathing, stomach bleeding, and even trigger suicidal thoughts.
Scientists have conducted several studies on this issue, and they found that curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, can treat major depressive disorders same as fluoxetine, or Prozac. The good news is that curcumin has no side-effects.
- 2 tbsp grated ginger root or turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 lemon or lime, juiced
- 4 cups filtered or sparkling water
- 4 tbsp 100% maple syrup, honey or Stevia
- Add the juice of a blood orange if you like.
Combine all the ingredients in a small jar, shake well and serve in a highball glass. Decorate with a lemon slice.